Hotty Toddy...Cold Reliever...

9:41 PM


My mom is old school. By old school, I mean she is one of those moms who swears "An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure". She believes in treating it before it hits ya!  

Today the bus ran just as it does any other day and just as it does on any other day, it blows its horn to high heavens until I peek my head out the door. Once I make an appearance, the driver waves and opens its doors to let my youngest off. It is something new the school district has implemented in these parts. No younger student is allowed off the bus until a parent shows their face. So there I am, standing in all my unprepared ragginess (hat atop my head, ripped jeans) waving a "hello! I am here!" to the bus when my baby girl literally slumps off of its steps. She looks as though she is about to cry and I immediately bombard her with questions..."Did someone bother you....was the bus driver mean? Did you have a bad day at school? Are you upset?" After the drill, she finally opens up to my mom, she is not feeling well. We take her temperature and it is 99 degrees. My mom declares a state of emergency, and breaks out the 'cure-all'.

The cure....a hotty toddy. A drink so potent yet so delicious that it will knock a cold straight out. My mom swears by it. She lives by it and tonight she had me make it.

I must say, it did indeed make the little on feel better. This time of year, we keep the ingredients to make this in stock. It is said to help with cough, sore throat and stuffiness.

You will need:
One orange (sliced)
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of lemon juice
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of honey
3 cough drops
3 peppermints
(for the grown ups.....add in a bit of peppermint schnapps)

Add everything into a small pot and bring to a boil. Stir consistently to melt the cough drops and peppermints. Once boiling turn off the heat. Pour into a mug and garnish with an orange slice. Serve warm. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook